Activities for older people
About the project
The Limes Nursing Home is the longest established nursing home in. It accommodates elderly residents with varying degrees of incapacity, from rehabilitation to terminal care.
The project aims to give the opportunity for clients to try something new, to build their confidence and let them see what they can achieve, rather than focus in what they can no longer do.
We're looking for a small team of volunteers to design, plan and deliver activities on a regular basis (e.g. once every two week) throughout the academic year. The aims of the activities are to promote wellbeing through social interaction. Upon delivering the activities many volunteers will provide one-to-one support to help ensure everyone can participate. Volunteers must be committed, creative, patient and keen to develop relationships with the clients and develop activities to suit.
If the project team requires extra hands on the day we can recruit volunteers to help deliver the activity. You will have the full support of the Volunteering & Community Engagement Team and access to some resources. The staff at the nursing home will offer support (especially during your first couple of activities) and supply any resource you need.
Possible activities could include:
- Arts & crafts, e.g. card making, origami
- An afternoon of reminiscing using: films; old newspapers; retro quizzes; and historical internet sites
- Games: an afternoon of board and card games
- Sensory stories
- An afternoon of singing
- ...and so much more! You need to think of creative ways to get the clients engaged
What you can get out of it:
- Skills in leadership, project management, event management, creative thinking, team working, and working with professionals.
- Experience of engaging with vulnerable adults in creative ways
How to get involved
PLEASE NOTE: As The Limes is a private nursing home, students who have a visa restricting their volunteering to 'charities only' will not be able to undertake this opportunity.
Contact email@example.com with details of why you would like to join the project and what you feel you can contribute.