International development, education
About the project
In 2004 a gap year experience had left a group of students so shocked by the lack of resources in Tanzanian schools that they were compelled to do something about it. Since then we have shipped over one million books to Tanzania and Uganda, and are currently supporting the renovation of dozens of school libraries so that access to these books is improved. We have also sent several tonnes of sports kits, science equipment, and school stationery. In Tanzania and Uganda we work closely with the Ministry of Education to ensure that our books go to where they are most needed.
Activities you could get involved in
- Planning and delivering fundraising events
- Collecting books for schools in Tanzania
- Cataloguing and packing the books to be shipped to Tanzania
What you can get out of it
The READ Leadership Programme provides you with:
- Real, tangible leadership skills and worthwhile experience with an innovative student-led charity
- People management skills. Managing volunteers on a daily basis and developing delegation skills
- Personal management skills. Learn and improve how to self-motivate yourself
- Skills in areas such as event management, logistics, fundraising, youth engagement and presentation skills
- The chance to 'Give something back' and help thousands of children in East Africa
- Real responsibility and ownership of your own project
- The opportunity to go to Tanzania!